Thompson retired as senior vice president for the SunTrust Bank of Coffee County and presently serves as chairman of the board. He has served on the Georgia Agribusiness Council, the University of Georgia Agriculture Alumni Board, the Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia, the Sunbelt Exposition Board and the Douglas-Coffee County Industrial Authority. He earned an associate’s degree from Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, a bachelor’s degree in agriculture from the University of Georgia and attended banking school at Louisiana State University. He has four children and five grandchildren.
Garland has served in this capacity under six governors. The others appointed to the Commission are Jason Winters, J. Drew Echols, Harold D. Fallin, and Bob Martin.
- Governor issues state of emergency for entire state as Florence heads toward land
- Snowmageddon has arrived and she's brought a number of problems with her
- State house honors Garland Thompson
- Adam Smith named District Supervisor to Altamaha Soil and Water Conservation District
- Severe weather rolls into Coffee County, schools to close Monday