On September 17-19, six cadets from Coffee High School Navy JRTOC participated in an Orienteering Camp and competition at Camp Blanding near Starke, FL. The camp taught compass and map reading skills and prepared the cadets to run an intermediate level orienteering course.
Eight schools and over 90 cadets from South Georgia and North Florida participated in the camp. On Sunday, cadets competed in an orange course with Cadet Yair Carrillo placing 1st, Cadet Andy Carrillo placing 2nd, and Cadet Mitchell Guerrero placing 4th. Coffee County finished in 1st place overall for the competition.
Coffee NJROTC's first Area 12 Orienteering Competition will be held November 20 at Goldhead Branch State Park in Florida.
- Officers charge Andre Larron Benjamin with murder in shooting death of Joshua Lashawn Brown
- City seeking construction contractors
- Land Bank Authority: A solution for vacant, blighted properties
- Pedestrian safety measures added to Douglas state route
- Local filmmaker talks to CHS students, offers scholarship