The City of Douglas held a Citizen Academy Workshop on Tuesday, September 21, 2021 from 4pm-8pm at the Youth Center. The goal of the workshop was to provide participants with the tools and information to become more knowledgeable about city department operations. Those in attendance included citizens, board volunteers, department heads, the City Manager, and Mayor Paulk.
“Our goal with offering this class was to educate citizens about the daily functions of the nine city departments and their employee daily responsibilities,” says City Manager Charles Davis. “We hope that those in attendance left with more knowledge of how the city operates and can help share the information with others in the community.”
After each department presentation, citizens were given time to hold one-on-one discussions with city staff relating to services such as code enforcement, grants, public safety, utility billing, sanitation, and public engagement. Douglas 101: Citizens Academy Program is a citizenship program that is normally a 8-10 week program that familiarizes residents of Douglas with the operation, structure, and locations of the municipal government departments and services.
- Brother & Sister, children of original Allman Brothers founding member, to perform in Douglas Saturday night
- Early voting still underway, over 1,000 ballots cast so far
- Dr. Peterson speaks at Mercer graduation
- Douglas has successful Great American Cleanup
- Kristen Kitchens joins DouglasNow as news reporter