A juvenile has been implicated in the death of Loyce Tucker, 17, of Douglas, who was a resident at the Waycross Regional Youth Detention Center in Waycross. Tucker was reported unresponsive on Tuesday, August 9, 2022. Two days later, on Thursday, August 11, 2022, Tucker passed away from injuries sustained at the RYDC.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating Tucker’s death. Agents arrested Thomas Lee Hicks, 30, an officer at the RYDC, on Tuesday, August 16, 2022, for allegedly pitting juveniles at the RYDC against each other in a fight game. Authorities believe that it was in this fight game that Tucker suffered the injuries that led to his death.
Thursday, August 18, 2022, GBI officials released a one-sentence statement that reads as follows: “A juvenile complaint for involuntary manslaughter has been secured for the juvenile involved in the fight that resulted in the death of another juvenile on August 9, 2022.” The juvenile referenced in the statement is Tucker. The GBI has released no further information regarding this latest development in the case.
Hicks was charged with one count of murder in the 2nd degree, two counts of cruelty to children in the 2nd degree, and one count of violation of oath of office.
Funeral services for Tucker will be held on Friday, August 19, 2022 at 11 a.m. in the Chapel at Sims Funeral Home with Rev. Loyce (Loy) Burkett officiating. Interment will follow at New Hope Church Cemetery in Ambrose.
Tucker is survived by his mother, Ashlie Muncey of Douglas; father, Jonathan Tucker Sr. of Ware County; brothers, Jonathan Tucker, Jr. and Dennis Tucker; grandmother, Karen Guererro of Douglas; a special friend, Aliza Durham; and several aunts, uncles and cousins.
- Coffee County man arrested for sexual exploitation of children
- GBI announces promotions at Douglas field office
- Twelve witnesses take the stand in first day of Anderson trial
- Prison sentences for drug trafficker, two ex-prison guards wrap Sandy Bottom conspiracy
- Former Willacoochee police chief arrested by GBI
Latest from Staff Reports
- Douglas man charged with burglary after allegedly breaking in apartment in Oak Park
- A fight in West Green lands one in the hospital, another in jail
- Migrant women endured medical mistreatment at Georgia ICE facility, U.S. Senate report finds
- DPD makes arrest in golf club thefts
- Douglas native one of 17 alleged gang members charged in Barrow County