Douglas man sentenced to 8 years for 2020 aggravated assault
- Written by Kristen Kitchens
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
William Jared Harper will spend the next several years in prison after he pleaded guilty to an aggravated assault that occurred in 2020. Harper has been in the Coffee County Jail since his arrest, with those years being credited toward his sentence.
The charges stem from an incident that took place on May 22, 2020, when Harper was arrested on the assault charge, with an additional count of kidnapping.
According to a copy of a document filed in August 2020, Harper allegedly "stole a female away without lawful authority or warrant and held her against her will," leading him to be indicted on the kidnapping charge.
The indictment also states that Harper "grabbed the victim by her throat," which could "likely lead to strangulation." Harper was taken into custody on the night the incident occurred. He was denied bond in September of that year and has since been awaiting trial.
On September 26, Harper pleaded guilty to aggravated assault, with the kidnapping charge being dismissed as a result.
Judge Andy Spivey sentenced Harper to a total of 20 years, with 8 of those being served in prison. However, Harper will receive credit for his time spent in the Coffee County Jail, which will result in an approximate five-and-a-half year prison stay.
If Harper had taken his case before a jury and been found guilty, he would have faced 20 years on both the assault and kidnapping charges.
- Cross sentenced to year and a half in jail after disrupting probation revocation hearing 27 times with foul language, lewd behavior
- Man hanging out at convenience store allegedly attempts to toss bag of meth, arrested
- Bicycle traffic stop leads to drug arrest
- David Rios, one of Coffee County's Most Wanted, still on the run after 11 years
- DPD: Person of interest in Maria Diaz's disappearance in custody
Latest from Kristen Kitchens
- Defendant in lone criminal trial this month pleads guilty
- American Idol to remember Willie Spence during tonight's Season 21 premiere
- Alleged impaired driver hits, totals Douglas Police Department patrol car
- Alleged domestic dispute leads to terroristic and acts charges
- Allegations of a pecan theft result in meth arrest