Another day, another shooting death in Douglas.
This afternoon, officers from the Douglas Police Department responded to a call at a North College Avenue address. There they found Lea Merritt of Douglas dead from a gunshot wound. According to multiple sources, the investigation led officers to Merritt’s brother, Caleb Barrett.
Sources report that Barrett allegedly shot Merritt, possibly as a result of some type of family dispute, in the backyard of the residence.
Officers took Barrett in for questioning this afternoon. Late today, two other officers remained at the residence processing the scene. Thus far, the police department hasn’t issued an official statement and this is a developing story.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Former Douglas resident one of 13 arrested in plot to kidnap Michigan governor
- Agents investigate, arrest Dr. Steve Anderson
- Irwin County Detention Center allegations: ICE, CRMC respond
- Complaint against Irwin County Detention Center alleges poor COVID-19 protocols, non-consenual hysterectomies
- Grand Jury indicts two on murder charges, six others in Vann Brown death