A Douglas man lost his life in a one-vehicle accident on a dirt road early Saturday morning.
The cause of the accident and the circumstances surround it remain a mystery. However, what is known that Derek Wiggins of Douglas crashed the Ford car he was driving early Saturday on Sikes Road in the Huffer community.
Wiggins was traveling south on Sikes Road when he apparently lost control of the car. The car crashed through a fence and struck a pine tree directly on the driver’s side front door. Wiggins died as a result of the accident. A nearby resident found the wreck about 5:30 a.m. Saturday. Wiggins had already expired when the crash was found.
The accident remains under investigation.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Victim in stable condition, suspect apprehended following Tuesday night shooting
- Grand Jury indicts city employee, two others on bribery charges
- Roscoe Allen indicted on aggravated assault charges
- Stingrays win state championship for fourth time in six years
- O'Steen wins District 5 county commission election