A Douglas man lost his life in a one-vehicle accident on a dirt road early Saturday morning.
The cause of the accident and the circumstances surround it remain a mystery. However, what is known that Derek Wiggins of Douglas crashed the Ford car he was driving early Saturday on Sikes Road in the Huffer community.
Wiggins was traveling south on Sikes Road when he apparently lost control of the car. The car crashed through a fence and struck a pine tree directly on the driver’s side front door. Wiggins died as a result of the accident. A nearby resident found the wreck about 5:30 a.m. Saturday. Wiggins had already expired when the crash was found.
The accident remains under investigation.
Latest from Robert Preston
- McIver enters late, District 5 qualifying ends with four candidates
- McCallum enters District 5 county commission race
- Holt, O'Steen declare for District 5 special election
- County to hold special election to fill District 5 county commission seat
- Video: Softball tourney in Waycross turns violent, injuries reported