Saturday night, authorities discovered what they believe to be the body of Ruben Barboza, 20, in the creek that runs behind Hebron Baptist Church. A statement posted on the Coffee County Ga. Police Scanner Facebook page from Sheriff Doyle Wooten describes what led investigators to the body.
Barboza had been reported missing from Atkinson County on Friday. A Coffee County deputy on patrol in the area noticed vehicle parts on the roadway and damage to the bridge that spans the creek. He stopped for further investigation and saw the body floating in the water. A vehicle that matched the description of Barboza’s was submerged nearby.
Coffee County authorities turned the investigation over to the Georgia State Patrol. Officers do not suspect foul play. Apparently, they are attributing Barboza’s death to a vehicle accident. While all indicators point to the body being that of Barboza, it was sent to the GBI crime lab for positive identification.
- John Henry, Chamber of Commerce President, visits with Kiwanis
- SGSC announces Spring 2018 Academic Honors Lists
- Douglas utilities encourages customers to use Utility Hawk customer portal
- Sheriff's office seeking absconded sex offender
- Alma PD announce last week's arrests, charges ranging from indecent exposure to drug possession
Latest from Robert Preston
- Former SGSC Hawk signs with Colorado Rockies
- Hog N' Bones holds ribbon cutting, set to open Friday morning
- Burt Reynolds to attend RKDS Film Fest in Valdosta next month
- Duke ends season for McGovern, Bulldogs to advance to Super Regionals
- Video: McGovern's heroics help lift Georgia to Athens Regional championship game