Saturday night, authorities discovered what they believe to be the body of Ruben Barboza, 20, in the creek that runs behind Hebron Baptist Church. A statement posted on the Coffee County Ga. Police Scanner Facebook page from Sheriff Doyle Wooten describes what led investigators to the body.
Barboza had been reported missing from Atkinson County on Friday. A Coffee County deputy on patrol in the area noticed vehicle parts on the roadway and damage to the bridge that spans the creek. He stopped for further investigation and saw the body floating in the water. A vehicle that matched the description of Barboza’s was submerged nearby.
Coffee County authorities turned the investigation over to the Georgia State Patrol. Officers do not suspect foul play. Apparently, they are attributing Barboza’s death to a vehicle accident. While all indicators point to the body being that of Barboza, it was sent to the GBI crime lab for positive identification.
Carter Thompson Insurance your local insurance agent - 912-384-7171
Latest from Robert Preston
- Video: Botched investigation leads to shooting, City of Douglas faces possible law suit as a result
- Commissioner Pearson's second voter fraud trial to begin next week
- Watt wins second state wrestling title, Newton gets first at weekend tournament
- Basketball Trojans beat Valdosta Wildcats, win region title
- GBI investigates Southeastern Marine for alleged stolen customer rebates, yields two arrests