As Hurricane Irma tracks north, Coffee County has now been issued a voluntary evacuation for people living in mobile homes and in low-lying areas. While there is still some uncertainty regarding exactly what Irma is going to do as she makes her way north, one thing is for certain: Local conditions are going to deteriorate and those living in mobile homes or flood-prone areas are going to be at great risk.
Several shelters are open in Douglas. County emergency officials are urging people not to wait until the storm arrives to seek shelter. By that time, it will be too late.
Additionally, the city has issued a mandatory curfew tonight beginning at 8 p.m. County EMA director Steve Carver has also asked businesses and industries in the area to allow non-essential employees to remain at home Monday for their safety.
A list of shelters in Douglas and Coffee County with contact information is listed below:
To protect your privacy, remote images are blocked in this message. Display images
1. Red Cross Shelter - Douglas Central Square Complex -200 South Madison Ave.
Contact- Larry Nesmith 912-393-4051
2. Saving Grace Ministries - 1149 Dewberry Road
Contact - Cliff Kirkland 912-383-2434
3. Senda da Vita Church - 4065 US Hwy 441 South
Contact - Aida Mendoza 912-393-4669
4. Deberry Baptist Church - 5500 Broxton Fitzgerald Hwy
Contact - Jeremy Cox 229-425-4202, 912-359-3539
5. Trinity Church - 117 Warren Carter Road
Contact - Floyd Musgrove 912-850-0224
Carter Thompson Insurance your local insurance agent - 912-384-7171
- 4-H news for the week of October 23, adopt-a-highway workday, Georgia national fair entries, fall forum
- Douglas Kiwanis Club news
- No foul play in death of man found on West Cherry Street Friday afternoon
- City responds to last week's guest editorial, offers explanation of project delivery method under consideration
- Lee receives two life sentences for murders of Bowen, Harden
Latest from Staff Reports
- Saturday traffic stop leads to discovery of body of missing person
- Local residents can apply for FEMA assistance in aftermath of Hurricane Irma
- DPD releases statement about incident that happened in women's restroom in Wal-Mart
- Sharnae Pegues, BGC Y.O.Y competing for national Y.O.Y this Thursday, Sept 21
- Authorities arrest Douglas woman in Saturday morning shooting