At Monday morning’s regular county commission meeting, EMA director Steve Carver reported that 580 Coffee County residents have filed complaints at the Federal Emergency Management Agency that has been open locally as a result of damage sustained from Hurricane Irma. Of those, 70 have been approved.
Carver stated that the total amount of funds FEMA has approved in these cases is in excess of $80,000. Housing assistance claims total $62,888 while other claims, such as personal property and medical needs, accounts for $18,366.80.
The local FEMA center will remain open until Friday.
In other news, the commission approved an intergovernmental agreement with the cities of Ambrose, Broxton, and Nicholls to manage their road re-surfacing and paving projects. This is a regular agreement the county signs with these cities to assist them with the road projects. The county gets 2 ½ percent of the construction costs, which primarily goes to reimburse the county road department. The bids for these projects will be awarded in November.
The county also approved three appointments to the Atkinson County-Coffee County Joint Development Authority. Those appointments are Jimmy Kitchens, Dr. Roland Cummings, and Andrea Taylor.
Carter Thompson Insurance your local insurance agent - 912-384-7171
- Rotary donates to Night to Shine event, two other local charities
- FEMA updates, fact sheet to help survivors navigate the road to recovery, the latest info on recovery progress
- FEMA disaster recovery center to open in Coffee County, October 6
- Local residents can apply for FEMA assistance in aftermath of Hurricane Irma
- Local officials meet with FEMA and GEMA to assess storm damage, county will remove debris if receive notification by October 6
Latest from Robert Preston
- Jameon Gaskin, Milton Jackson combine for six touchdowns in Coffee's 55-21 win over Evans Knights
- Childhood Cancer Awareness Group lights tree in honor, memory of cancer patients
- Trojans advance to second round of state playoffs after beating Effingham Rebels 52-32
- Nicholls gets four new council members, tie in Ambrose election
- Change of venue request granted in Olivia Pearson's second trial, gag order denied