According to a press release issued by the Coffee County Sheriff's Office on Monday afternoon, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating the death of a man booked into the Coffee County Jail Saturday afternoon.
Sheriff Doyle Wooten asked the GBI's Douglas Regional Office to investigate the death of 28-year-old Shannon Ashley Rewis. The Douglas Police Department arrested Rewis on Friday, Oct. 20, on probation violation warrants and transported him to the Coffee County Jail for processing. While being booked into the jail, Rewis developed medical issues and was transported to Coffee Regional Medical Center.
Rewis died around 5 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 21, while being treated at CRMC. His body was taken to the GBI Medical Examiner's Office in Macon for an autopsy. The investigation into Mr. Rewis' death is active and ongoing. Anyone who has information concerning this case is asked to contact the GBI's Douglas Regional Office at (912) 389-4103 or the Coffee County Sheriff's Office at (912) 384-4227.
Carter Thompson Insurance your local insurance agent - 912-384-7171
Latest from Robert Preston
- Video: Botched investigation leads to shooting, City of Douglas faces possible law suit as a result
- Commissioner Pearson's second voter fraud trial to begin next week
- Watt wins second state wrestling title, Newton gets first at weekend tournament
- Basketball Trojans beat Valdosta Wildcats, win region title
- GBI investigates Southeastern Marine for alleged stolen customer rebates, yields two arrests