The National Weather Service in Jacksonville has issued a winter storm warning for Coffee County Wednesday and Thursday. Non-essential departments with the City of Douglas will be closed Wednesday as will all campuses of Wiregrass Technical College. A press release from Wiregrass stated that the college will make a determination regarding Thursday and Friday on Wednesday afternoon but administrators are expecting the college to be open those days.
Conditions for Coffee County will begin to worsen after midnight and into the early morning hours of Wednesday. There is a possibility of ice accumulation in excess of a quarter of an inch and two to four inches of snow is possible. The ice could cause widespread power outages and downed trees and powerlines.
Freezing rain is also a possibility; if it begins to fall, please do not travel unless it’s absolutely necessary.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Victim in stable condition, suspect apprehended following Tuesday night shooting
- Grand Jury indicts city employee, two others on bribery charges
- Roscoe Allen indicted on aggravated assault charges
- Stingrays win state championship for fourth time in six years
- O'Steen wins District 5 county commission election