The snow has stopped but we’re not out of the woods yet. Snow you can see. Black ice you can’t. And that’s what’s coming next.
According to a release from county EMA director Steve Carver, wet roads left in the wake of melting snow will freeze tonight, which will cause even more problems on Thursday. Carver’s statement says that bridges and overpasses, as well as those portions of roads that remain wet at nightfall, will be the most treacherous. Forecasts are predicting these conditions will continue until around 11 a.m. Thursday.
Carver is urging that people stay off the roads until then and asks that business owners delay opening until temperatures rise above freezing and allow the roads to thaw. The Department of Transportation, Georgia State Patrol, and local public safety agencies ask that you please stay off of the roads until these conditions improve tomorrow mid-day.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Atkinson County auto accident claims life of Coffee resident, seriously injures three others
- McIver enters late, District 5 qualifying ends with four candidates
- McCallum enters District 5 county commission race
- Holt, O'Steen declare for District 5 special election
- County to hold special election to fill District 5 county commission seat