A local probationer was jailed on firearms charges last week after attempting to flee from law enforcement officers during a traffic stop.
Around 1 p.m. Jan. 10, 2018, agents with the Douglas-Coffee Drug Unit conducted a traffic stop on a white, 2004 Chevy Tahoe in the area of U.S. Hwy. 221 N. and Cross Rd. for failing to stop at a stop sign. The driver, identified as 41-year-old Mitchell Shahee Jump, attempted to flee from officers on foot, but was quickly apprehended when he fell into a ditch, injuring himself with lacerations to the forehead in the process.
A search of the vehicle yielded the discovery of a loaded, 12-gauge shotgun, which Jump later admitted in an interview he was aware was in his possession.
Jump was transported from the scene to the Coffee County Jail. He has been charged with one count of possession of a firearm by a probationer.
- Video: Citizens offer assistance to Douglas police officer bloodied during foot chase
- Here are a few local drug arrests over the last week
- Mayor's youth council is looking for members
- Registration is underway for the Festival of Lights Christmas parade
- Samuel Reed, reported missing, has been found in Florida