Day Lumber Company, located just off U.S. 441 South on Rebecca Waldron Road in Coffee County, suffered significant damage in a large fire late Friday afternoon.
There has been no official release from authorities. However, based on eyewitness accounts posted on social media Friday and Saturday, it appears as though an electrical problem caused the fire. One building was destroyed as well as several pieces of equipment. While the damage was serious, no one was injured and Day Lumber is not expected to be down in the aftermath of the blaze.
Firefighters responded quickly and fought into the evening to contain the fire -- which was no small task given the amount of wood on the lumber mill's yard. As bad as the fire was, it certainly could have been much, much worse.
- Driver walks away from truck v. train accident
- City commission decides to re-interview all five police chief candidates
- County designates next week as FCCLA Week, approves road closure
- Willacoochee man killed in hit and run, suspect arrested
- Victim from In and Out shooting fighting for life, was out on bond for July 4 double shooting
Latest from Staff Reports
- U.S. Marshals, deputies arrest three in murders of Kristian Bell and Steven Ward
- Chamber of Commerce names Coffee County School System its Community Partner of the Year
- Premium Waters receives Industry Partner of the Year Award
- Kayla Sellers: Small Business Partner of the Year
- David Varnedore receives Entrepreneur of the Year Award