Day Lumber Company, located just off U.S. 441 South on Rebecca Waldron Road in Coffee County, suffered significant damage in a large fire late Friday afternoon.
There has been no official release from authorities. However, based on eyewitness accounts posted on social media Friday and Saturday, it appears as though an electrical problem caused the fire. One building was destroyed as well as several pieces of equipment. While the damage was serious, no one was injured and Day Lumber is not expected to be down in the aftermath of the blaze.
Firefighters responded quickly and fought into the evening to contain the fire -- which was no small task given the amount of wood on the lumber mill's yard. As bad as the fire was, it certainly could have been much, much worse.
- City of Douglas seeks employers to be part of job fair, resource expo
- Chief Brannen Pruette assumes role of interim police chief
- Deputies apprehend fugitive who escaped from courthouse in December
- Satilla Regional Library System hosts Rock n’ Roll Magic Show
- Eleven Stingrays win individual championships at state meet
Latest from Staff Reports
- DyAnna Hayes competes for Miss Teen America crown
- Cops make arrest in July 4 double shooting
- Truck hauling allegedly stolen P&M trailer burns on I-10, driver arrested
- Broxton PD makes traffic stop, seizes variety of illegal drugs
- Unknown shooter wounds two on July 4, both transported to Savannah for treatment