Day Lumber Company, located just off U.S. 441 South on Rebecca Waldron Road in Coffee County, suffered significant damage in a large fire late Friday afternoon.
There has been no official release from authorities. However, based on eyewitness accounts posted on social media Friday and Saturday, it appears as though an electrical problem caused the fire. One building was destroyed as well as several pieces of equipment. While the damage was serious, no one was injured and Day Lumber is not expected to be down in the aftermath of the blaze.
Firefighters responded quickly and fought into the evening to contain the fire -- which was no small task given the amount of wood on the lumber mill's yard. As bad as the fire was, it certainly could have been much, much worse.
- Suspected dealer swallows drugs, slips out of hospital before officers get arrest warrants
- The Commodore Oliver Bowen Chapter, National Society Daughters of American Revolution of Douglas installs new officers
- Rev. Douglas Walker visits with Kiwanis
- Wilkerson defeats Johnson in BOE District 1 race, T-SPLOST passes
- Authorities continue the search for Willie Frank Wooden
Latest from Staff Reports
- CCSO is looking for a tatted up accused felon
- R.L. O'Steen, one of the men who built Douglas, has passed away
- GBI, DEA, other agencies arrest four on drug trafficking charges in multi-county operation
- Police locate, arrest Justin Guy Russ
- Two try to elude HEAT car, both arrested near Jeff Davis County