Day Lumber Company, located just off U.S. 441 South on Rebecca Waldron Road in Coffee County, suffered significant damage in a large fire late Friday afternoon.
There has been no official release from authorities. However, based on eyewitness accounts posted on social media Friday and Saturday, it appears as though an electrical problem caused the fire. One building was destroyed as well as several pieces of equipment. While the damage was serious, no one was injured and Day Lumber is not expected to be down in the aftermath of the blaze.
Firefighters responded quickly and fought into the evening to contain the fire -- which was no small task given the amount of wood on the lumber mill's yard. As bad as the fire was, it certainly could have been much, much worse.
- Holt's Bakery & Restaurant competes for 'Sweetest Bakery in America'
- CCSO arrests one on child cruelty charges after allegedly hitting a 10-year-old
- Douglas Kiwanis Club news
- Convicted child molester charged for not registering residency
- Douglas-Coffee County Chamber of Commerce celebrates March 19-23 as Georgia Small Business Week
Latest from Staff Reports
- Road construction to cause traffic delays this weekend
- Keegan McGovern receives national and Southeastern Conference recognition
- Sherri Berry named Principal of the Year
- Southwire employee caught allegedly stealing wire from plant, charged with felony theft by taking
- GBI investigating two shooting deaths in Pearson