A 69-year-old man was arrested and jailed on child cruelty charges after striking a 10-year-old victim in the face and spanking him with a wooden stick.
Deputies responded to the area of First Avenue South around 4 p.m. Wednesday, March 14, in reference to a report of a child being hit in the face. Deputies observed red marks on the victim’s face and neck. The victim, along with other minors present at the location, told deputies the offender, identified as Wilbern Bremon Powell, had spanked the child with a wooden stick until it broke, before slapping him in the face.
Deputies met with Powell, who confirmed the children’s account of the incident. Powell stated he began spanking the victim with a stick because the child refused to take his medication. Authorities learned that the victim resided with Powell, but the two were not related.
The Department of Family and Children’s Services was notified and responded to the scene.
Powell was taken into custody and transported to the Coffee County Jail. He has been charged with one count of first degree cruelty to children, along with two counts of cruelty to children – third degree.
- Michael Mancil, who said he planned to blow up the HAARP facility in Alaska, sentenced on Wednesday
- Officers make arrest in Dec. 2 shooting
- One person shot on Roper Street, no arrests
- Shoppes at Tip Top celebrates grand opening with ribbon cutting
- Jury convicts Derrious Carter on drug possession charges, sentenced to 11 years in prison
Latest from Robert Preston
- Herman 'Bugg' Lott
- Christmas parade postponed, rescheduled for next Thursday
- Video: City approves items for airport and Madison Avenue re-conductor project, hears from Roscoe Allen again during work session
- Saturday morning accident claims life of Florida man
- Longhorns stop Trojans' running attack, end Coffee's season in quarterfinals