C.J. Mizell, a former Coffee Trojan football star who also played at Washington State University and the University of Akron, has been arrested for the second time in less than six months.
Trouble has followed the embattled former linebacker, who was expelled from Coffee High School in 2007 after assaulting then-head coach Jerry Odom. Mizell finished high school Leon County in Tallahassee, Fla,, where he was slated to play college football for the Florida State Seminoles. However, Mizell was unable to enroll at Florida State and ended up signing with Washington State.
According to a story that appeared in the Seattle Times in February 2012, Mizell was dismissed from the team after being arrested for misdemeanor assault and trespassing at the house of Delta Tau Delta fraternity. The story also noted that Mizell had been placed on probation at WSU for possession of a “small amount” of marijuana. Mizell started 15 games at Washington State and made several big plays, such as the one seen in the video below.
After leaving Washington State, Mizell enrolled at Akron where he played for two years with the Zips. He played in 20 games, started 13, and was named defensive player of the game three times as a senior. After he finished his playing career at Akron, draftscout.com had Mizell rated as the 50th inside linebacker out of 134.
In November, Mizell, 27, was arrested by Coffee County deputies and officers from the U.S. Marshals Service at a Brooks Avenue residence in Douglas. At the time, he was wanted by the Leon County (Florida) Sheriff’s Office on charges of obstructing justice, aggravated battery, kidnapping, false imprisonment, and theft. He was extradited to Florida.
Apparently, Mizell was eventually released from jail and he returned to Douglas, where he was arrested on Friday, March 23, for possession of a drug-related object. He was booked into the Coffee County Jail following his arrest.
- Sheriff Wooten's Family Fun Day is Oct. 27
- Criminal Investigations Unit makes multiple arrests on variety of charges, from drugs to assault
- Thursday morning shooting triggers lockdown at CCA, Indian Creek
- Intercepted package of drugs leads to arrest of Douglas man
- Man opens fire in Broxton, misses everyone
Latest from Robert Preston
- Trojans pick up region win over Houston County
- Updated early voting, Hurricane Michael damage information
- Tyreek Hill helps spark second-half comeback, gets doused with beer by a New England fan
- Valdosta Wildcats handle the Trojans 37-22, Coffee falls to 0-2 in region
- City commission narrowly approves changes to alcohol ordinance