Hurricane Florence is barreling toward the eastern United States and has citizens and officials in three states – Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina – on edge. While Florence isn’t supposed to hit Georgia directly, the state could still feel some of the effects from the storm. Wednesday afternoon, Gov. Nathan Deal issued a state of emergency for the entire state.
Based on the a late-morning forecast for Hurricane Florence and acting on a recommendation from Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency (GEMA/HS) officials, Gov. Deal has issued an emergency declaration for all 159 counties in Georgia.
“The state is mobilizing all available resources to ensure public safety ahead of Hurricane Florence,” said Deal. “In light of the storm’s forecasted southward track after making landfall, I encourage Georgians to be prepared for the inland effects of the storm as well as the ensuing storm surge in coastal areas. GEMA/HS continues to lead our preparedness efforts as we coordinate with federal, state and local officials to provide public shelter and accommodate those evacuating from other states. Finally, I ask all Georgians to join me in praying for the safety of our people and all those in the path of Hurricane Florence.”
- Snowmageddon has arrived and she's brought a number of problems with her
- Severe weather rolls into Coffee County, schools to close Monday
- Rep. LaRiccia: 'Georgia is best state in the country in which to do business'
- Gov. Deal puts his signature on medical marijuana law
- Gov. Deal appoints Douglas resident to Soil and Water Commission
Latest from Robert Preston
- Rams topple Chiefs 54-51 in highest scoring game of the year, Tyreek Hill finishes with pair of touchdowns
- Video: Citizens offer assistance to Douglas police officer bloodied during foot chase
- Coffee's rushing game wins the day, Trojans beat Wildcats and move on to third round
- County approves rezoning request on Sand Hill Church Road, road resurfacing projects
- Tyreek Hill scores twice against Cardinals, thrills fans with TD celebration