At Monday’s regular county commission meeting, county code enforcement director Ray Parker recommended that the county deny a rezoning request despite the planning commission giving the request its stamp of approval.
The request comes from Donald Wildes, Jr., who would like to rezone 5.3 acres at 1875 Sandhill Church Road from Commercial to Warehouse Lot Industrial. The county held the first reading of the request Monday. Parker stated that his staff recommended that the county deny the request based on standards of land use. He added that after the meeting, the county would advertise the request and post a sign on the property. The second reading and public hearing will be held at the regular county commission meeting on Nov. 5.
The county also authorized the fire department to utilize the services of JMCM Consulting of Five Points, Alabama, a firm that specializes in grant writing. The fire department has tried unsuccessfully to secure grant funds for several different applications. JMCM charges a five percent fee on any grant funds the county receives as a result of their work. The commission approved the request.
The county granted an easement to the Sapp Subdivision water system to Noah Mancil. Currently, no one knows exactly who owns the water system. Giving Mancil the easement is a temporary solution until the county can figure out exactly who owns what as it relates to that particular system.
Commission chairman A.J. Dovers announced the dates for early voting in the run-up to the November general election. Early voting will go from Oct. 15-Nov. 2 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Early voting will also be allowed on Saturday, Oct. 27 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sleepy Coffee County wakes to national spotlight with 2021 voting machine breach videos
- Judge grants only two bonds in Wednesday hearings
- Released CCF inmate returning to prison after throwing bag of contraband over fence
- State subpoenas media texts and emails from critic of Georgia electronic voting system
- Coffee County NAACP declares state of emergency
Latest from Robert Preston
- Defense, special teams lead Trojans to 51-17 win over Richmond Hill Wildcats
- Trojans make history against Seminoles, win 65-0
- Coffee overcomes bye week, two-hour weather delay to defeat St. Augustine (Fla.) in Border Classic
- Coffee JV handles Madison (Fla.) JV 41-0 in first meeting since 2007
- Visit Douglas-Coffee County announces Gopher Tortoise Festival poster contest