Yesterday, a jury in Atkinson County convicted Roderick Bernard Brock in the May 2015 killing of Marlene Murray, 64, of Atkinson County. Roderick and Ansley Minkema, both of whom are from Douglas, had been arrested and charged with Murray’s murder.
Minkema pled guilty and received 20 years in prison and 20 years on probation. Brock was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. He was convicted on charges of malice murder, felony murder, aggravated assault (three counts), and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
Authorities arrested Minkema first then picked up Brock. His name was released as a suspect immediately after Minkema’s arrest. A tip from the public led officers to Brock’s whereabouts a short time later. At the time, officials stated that the duo killed Murray while they were attempting to steal her medication.
- Lakeland PD officer allegedly shoots inmate in Atkinson County, GBI investigating
- Atkinson County auto accident claims life of Coffee resident, seriously injures three others
- GBI finds third body in missing persons case, also makes second arrest
- High speed chase ends in Pearson, multiple vehicles damaged
- Drug unit makes multiple arrests in two different investigations