At the first county commission meeting of 2019, commissioners named Jimmy Kitchens as commission chair and Johnny Wayne Jowers as vice chair. “I’d like to thank Mr. Dovers for the work he’s done for the past year. He’s a young guy and he took over and he’s done real well. He’s just as seasoned as he can be now. We sure thank him,” said Commissioner Kitchens to Commissioner A.J. Dovers, outgoing commission chair.
Commissioners also appointed the following county officers: Clerk – Tracy Vickers, deputy clerks – Princess Porter and Abbie Paulk, attorney – Tony Rowell, auditor – Hurst and Hurst, road superintendent – Don Stokes, and assistant road superintendent – Wendell Troupe.
The commission approved the following appointments to county boards: Election board – Ernestine Clark (District 1), Eric Chaney (District 3), and Kim Cook (District 4); tax assessor board – Bill Greene; farmers’ market – Kevin Tatum and Johnny Wayne Jowers; recreation board – Melissa Givens; Ocmulgee Blueway Committee – Tony Rowell and Scooter Bill Deen; Douglas-Coffee County Land Bank Authority – Dennis Josey; Southern Georgia Regional Commission – Jimmy Kitchens; and Board of Health – Jimmy Kitchens.
The county also approved the sale of .14 acres of land at the intersection of Coweta Avenue and Ashley Street for $1,800 to Statewide Surveying.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Wednesday shooting results in standoff, eventually ends with suspect in custody
- Brunswick High hires Douglas native as head baseball coach
- Douglas native owned home that Ahmaud Arbery was in just before being shot to death
- Driver in accident that claimed life of Sheila Hughes arrested
- Douglas native, CHS graduate named one of Georgia's top doctors for 2020