At the first county commission meeting of 2019, commissioners named Jimmy Kitchens as commission chair and Johnny Wayne Jowers as vice chair. “I’d like to thank Mr. Dovers for the work he’s done for the past year. He’s a young guy and he took over and he’s done real well. He’s just as seasoned as he can be now. We sure thank him,” said Commissioner Kitchens to Commissioner A.J. Dovers, outgoing commission chair.
Commissioners also appointed the following county officers: Clerk – Tracy Vickers, deputy clerks – Princess Porter and Abbie Paulk, attorney – Tony Rowell, auditor – Hurst and Hurst, road superintendent – Don Stokes, and assistant road superintendent – Wendell Troupe.
The commission approved the following appointments to county boards: Election board – Ernestine Clark (District 1), Eric Chaney (District 3), and Kim Cook (District 4); tax assessor board – Bill Greene; farmers’ market – Kevin Tatum and Johnny Wayne Jowers; recreation board – Melissa Givens; Ocmulgee Blueway Committee – Tony Rowell and Scooter Bill Deen; Douglas-Coffee County Land Bank Authority – Dennis Josey; Southern Georgia Regional Commission – Jimmy Kitchens; and Board of Health – Jimmy Kitchens.
The county also approved the sale of .14 acres of land at the intersection of Coweta Avenue and Ashley Street for $1,800 to Statewide Surveying.
- Escaped inmate from Carroll County captured near Broxton
- Coffee County has received over five inches of rain and it's still falling
- Only 187 have voted in District 5 election, one more week of early voting
- County hears trash collection update, buys motor grader blades
- CSX to close crossing at Salem Church Road next week
Latest from Robert Preston
- Stingrays win state championship for fourth time in six years
- O'Steen wins District 5 county commission election
- Dollar General on Willacoochee Highway 'infested' with roaches, no food or beverage sales
- Video: Keegan McGovern homers against Visalia Rawhide in California League game
- Trojan Olympic lifters bring home national team championship, three individual medalists