A multi-agency manhunt took place near Nicholls Tuesday afternoon after an Alma man ran from police during a traffic stop.
According to Nicholls police chief Jamie Merritt, he attempted to stop a black Chevrolet Tahoe speeding through town Tuesday afternoon. The driver, Terrence Brackins, didn’t stop until he was a couple of miles west of Nicholls. Initially, he stopped in the middle of Highway 32. Chief Merritt told Brackins he had to get out of the road; Brackins then pulled off of the road onto the shoulder.
When Brackins pulled over, a passenger, Willie Robert Wade, jumped out of the vehicle with a gun in his hand. He then ran through some old chicken houses and into a wooded area. The Ware County K-9 Unit brought a bloodhound to the scene and followed Wade’s scent, leading officers to him. Wade was apprehended without incident. Officers also found Wade’s gun in one of the chicken houses. Chief Merritt stated that Wade admitted to throwing drugs down as he fled; however, officers were unable to locate any drugs along the path Wade took.
Wade was charged with obstruction of an officer and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Brackins was charged with speeding and obstruction while another passenter, Travis DeWayne Smith, was charged with obstruction. All three are convicted felons.
The Georgia State Patrol, Coffee County Sheriff’s Office, Ware County K-9 Unit, Valdosta K-9 Unit, and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation assisted with the investigation.
- Nicholls man drowns while fishing
- Nicholls PD, CCSO assist authorities from Bacon and Pierce counties in burglary case
- U.S. Marshals, deputies arrest three in murders of Kristian Bell and Steven Ward
- Bodies of Kristian Bell and boyfriend found buried near Nicholls
- School system to hold ribbon cutting at Nicholls Elementary this week
Latest from Robert Preston
- Stingrays win state championship for fourth time in six years
- O'Steen wins District 5 county commission election
- Dollar General on Willacoochee Highway 'infested' with roaches, no food or beverage sales
- Video: Keegan McGovern homers against Visalia Rawhide in California League game
- Trojan Olympic lifters bring home national team championship, three individual medalists