A fatal tractor-trailer accident in Irwin County on Tuesday afternoon claimed the life of a Coffee County man and closed Highway 32 near Irwinville for several hours while authorities, firefighters, and hazmat officials cleaned up the accident site.
The accident took place when a tractor-trailer driven by Walter Stubbs left the roadway. Details of the accident have not been released. However, the rig, a tanker owned by Fletcher Oil Company in Douglas, crashed then exploded into flames and burned for a long time on the side of the roadway. Stubbs did not survive the accident. A hazmat team from Coffee County responded to the scene and assisted with the clean-up. No other vehicles were involved.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Next week is Georgia Cities Week, here are the activities
- Clerk of Court Angela Spell-Hutto submits resignation effective April 30
- Nurse at jail one of three arrested on meth, marijuana charges
- New seafood restaurant looking to locate in Douglas
- Allen arrested, charged after allegedly pulling a gun at local club