A fatal tractor-trailer accident in Irwin County on Tuesday afternoon claimed the life of a Coffee County man and closed Highway 32 near Irwinville for several hours while authorities, firefighters, and hazmat officials cleaned up the accident site.
The accident took place when a tractor-trailer driven by Walter Stubbs left the roadway. Details of the accident have not been released. However, the rig, a tanker owned by Fletcher Oil Company in Douglas, crashed then exploded into flames and burned for a long time on the side of the roadway. Stubbs did not survive the accident. A hazmat team from Coffee County responded to the scene and assisted with the clean-up. No other vehicles were involved.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Ronnie Anderson withdraws from Ward 5 city commission election
- Plane belly lands at airport, no injuries reported
- Crop duster crashes in Atkinson County, pilot survives
- Lady Trojans advance after thrilling three-game upset in Augusta
- Wheeler Park revitalization plan released, Community Foundation receives first check for park project