Kayla Sellers, owner of Tip Top Deli and The Shoppes at Tip Top, received the Small Business Partner of the Year Award at last Thursday’s annual Chamber of Commerce event. This award recognizes the small business partner as a valued member of the Chamber of Commerce and celebrates their contribution to retain and grow business and jobs and may also include innovative approaches to business operations.
For several years, this business-minded young lady, Kayla Sellers, wanted to add a back entrance and courtyard to create outdoor eating for the family-owned restaurant, Tip Top Deli. As soon as she learned the land was available, she approached the owners about selling a large enough space for this to happen. When she learned that dividing the lot was not a possibility, she decided to buy the whole parcel. Soon construction was under way and the beautiful courtyard completed. However, it just didn’t look as she visualized with all the empty land around it.
Kayla and her mom discussed ideas for use of the land and her mom asked what she thought about doing little micro shops. Even though they had never seen any in person, they started researching the idea and the rest is history. Kayla was recently asked what she considered her greatest challenge during the process and she immediately responded, “The construction! I had no idea what I was taking on when I started this project!”
When asked the greatest reward, she replied, “Definitely, the greatest reward has been the support of the community throughout the process and once completed, filling them with entrepreneur-minded individuals- 17 shops in all!” Kayla believes her success in business is without a doubt a blessing from the Lord. His guidance along the way and the support and encouragement of her family, made it all possible.
- Wilkes family celebrates grand opening of State Farm agency
- Francis Lott receives first-ever Garland Thompson Lifetime Achievement Award
- Chamber of Commerce names Coffee County School System its Community Partner of the Year
- Premium Waters receives Industry Partner of the Year Award
- David Varnedore receives Entrepreneur of the Year Award
Latest from Staff Reports
- McCrimmon pleads guilty to murder, sentenced to life in prison
- Marshall Mizell named Landstar's Rookie of the Year
- Portion Highway 158 to close for a year while Satilla River bridges replaced
- New shopping center: Tax allocation district is key
- Popular Christian retailer LifeWay to close stores, go entirely digital