The Coffee County School System is the Chamber of Commerce’s Community Partner of the Year. This award recognizes the community partner of the year as a valued member of the Chamber of Commerce and celebrates the contributions of a community agency or organization who has an on-going commitment and partnership with the business community to address the needs of the Douglas-Coffee County area.
The Coffee County School System was named the Georgia Charter System of the Year, recognizing a school system that has demonstrated excellence in leadership, governance, partnerships and achievement. As a charter system, the district is given flexibility in exchange for increased accountability to meet the need of students. Specifically, the system is utilizing flexibility with personnel and staffing, scheduling, and expenditure controls. The district recently completed an extensive study which resulted in their five-year strategic plan.
The 2018 graduation rate is the highest it has ever been at 82.8 percent (which is also above the state average) and the largest graduating class in school history with 485 students, 86 honor graduates, 33 Zell Miller Scholars, 243 Advanced Placement students, and 44 percent eligible for HOPE Scholarship) which is the result of dedication and hard work of our students, teachers and staff. A college and career academy provides an additional option for students, and the partnerships with Wiregrass Georgia Technical College and South Georgia State College provides expanded dual enrollment opportunities.
The school system is pleased to have the strong support of the business and industry community with partnerships to expand even more possibilities for students. In addition to the Georgia Charter System of the Year, other recent accomplishments, achievements, honors or awards include:
- Sherri Berry was named GASSP Middle School Principal of the Year 2018
- Coffee Middle School named 2017 GASSP Breakout School of the Year
- Ambrose Elementary, Broxton Elementary, and Nicholls Elementary were named 2018 High Progress Schools
- Westside Elementary was named 2018 Highest Performing School
- BOE board recognized as a 2018 Exemplary Board
- CHS recognized as a 2017 and 2018 AP STEM School and an AP STEM Achievement School and 2017 AP Humanities School
Latest from Staff Reports
- Early voting for elections in Douglas, Broxton, and Nicholls begins today
- Baxley truck driver with Coffee ties loses life in North Carolina accident
- Inmate escapes Saturday evening, captured Sunday morning
- Seven arrested on gang and other charges after shooting
- Security video captures theft by taking suspect