GBI arrests Bacon County sheriff
- Written by Staff Reports
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
On Wednesday, May 29, 2019, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) arrested Bacon County Sheriff Mark Cothren, age 50. Sheriff Cothren was charged with one count each of elder abuse, violation of oath of office, and battery.
According to a press release issued by the GBI, on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, the Waycross Judicial Circuit District Attorney requested the GBI to investigate allegations that Sheriff Cothren assaulted John Daniel Melton, age 75, in front of the Bacon County Sheriff’s Office. Cothren turned himself in to the Bacon County Jail without incident.
The GBI investigation remains active and ongoing. Once complete, it will be provided to the Attorney General’s Office for prosecution.
Latest from Staff Reports
- Valdosta police investigating accidental double shooting, at least one victim from Douglas
- BOE approves new administrators at six schools
- Two Hawks combine for no-hitter in 6-0 win over Andrew College
- 39-year-old arrested on cocaine trafficking charges after vehicle stop
- Trojans take first at For Coffee meet, Kate Merritt sets another school record