On Wednesday, May 29, 2019, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) arrested Bacon County Sheriff Mark Cothren, age 50. Sheriff Cothren was charged with one count each of elder abuse, violation of oath of office, and battery.
According to a press release issued by the GBI, on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, the Waycross Judicial Circuit District Attorney requested the GBI to investigate allegations that Sheriff Cothren assaulted John Daniel Melton, age 75, in front of the Bacon County Sheriff’s Office. Cothren turned himself in to the Bacon County Jail without incident.
The GBI investigation remains active and ongoing. Once complete, it will be provided to the Attorney General’s Office for prosecution.
- Body found in Clinch County 'likely' that of missing SGSC student
- McCrimmon pleads guilty to murder, sentenced to life in prison
- GBI finds third body in missing persons case, also makes second arrest
- Two bodies found in Berrien County, believed to be two of three missing individuals
- Nicholls PD, CCSO assist authorities from Bacon and Pierce counties in burglary case