On Wednesday, May 29, 2019, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) arrested Bacon County Sheriff Mark Cothren, age 50. Sheriff Cothren was charged with one count each of elder abuse, violation of oath of office, and battery.
According to a press release issued by the GBI, on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, the Waycross Judicial Circuit District Attorney requested the GBI to investigate allegations that Sheriff Cothren assaulted John Daniel Melton, age 75, in front of the Bacon County Sheriff’s Office. Cothren turned himself in to the Bacon County Jail without incident.
The GBI investigation remains active and ongoing. Once complete, it will be provided to the Attorney General’s Office for prosecution.
- Coffee County man arrested for sexual exploitation of children
- GBI announces promotions at Douglas field office
- Twelve witnesses take the stand in first day of Anderson trial
- Prison sentences for drug trafficker, two ex-prison guards wrap Sandy Bottom conspiracy
- Former Willacoochee police chief arrested by GBI
Latest from Staff Reports
- Douglas man charged with burglary after allegedly breaking in apartment in Oak Park
- A fight in West Green lands one in the hospital, another in jail
- Migrant women endured medical mistreatment at Georgia ICE facility, U.S. Senate report finds
- DPD makes arrest in golf club thefts
- Douglas native one of 17 alleged gang members charged in Barrow County