The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has reported that Tommy Shane Morton Jr., an inmate who escaped from Carroll County in May and who lives in Coffee County when not in prison, has been apprehended in Coffee County. According to the AJC, authorities arrested Morton earlier today.
Morton walked off a work detail in Carroll County in May. The U.S. Marshals Service offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to Morton’s capture. The Coffee County Sheriff’s Office issued a press release in May stating that Morton had local connections and could be in the area.
The AJC stated that officers caught Morton Monday afternoon near Broxton. The story didn’t say exactly where near Broxton Morton was apprehended; however, Morton lives in a home near the intersection of Old River Road and Highway 107 north of Broxton.
The AJC story stated that a Georgia Department of Corrections spokesperson said that officers with the fugitive apprehension unit caught Morton.
- Coffee County has received over five inches of rain and it's still falling
- Only 187 have voted in District 5 election, one more week of early voting
- Bobby Reynolds, former Broxton mayor, has passed
- CSX to close crossing at Salem Church Road next week
- Holt, O'Steen declare for District 5 special election
Latest from Staff Reports
- Police make arrest after kitten shot in the face
- One-month-old girl seriously injured in domestic assault
- Funeral services for former city manager, mayor Jackie Wilson set for Saturday, August 10
- GBI investigating Saturday night shooting in Oak Park
- Coffee, ATCO, Pearson authorities solve stolen fire equipment case