Ted O’Steen is the new District 5 county commissioner.
Tuesday night, O’Steen defeated Howard Holt 429 votes to 342 in the special election to fill Charles “Scooter Bill” Deen’s unexpired term. Deen passed away on April 25 of this year after a lengthy battle with cancer.
O’Steen and Holt bested two other candidates in last month’s election then squared off once again in tonight’s run-off. The vote totals were fairly close across the board except in Broxton, where O’Steen won 143 to 67. That proved to be the precinct that put O’Steen over the top.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Victim in stable condition, suspect apprehended following Tuesday night shooting
- Grand Jury indicts city employee, two others on bribery charges
- Roscoe Allen indicted on aggravated assault charges
- Stingrays win state championship for fourth time in six years
- Dollar General on Willacoochee Highway 'infested' with roaches, no food or beverage sales