Ted O’Steen is the new District 5 county commissioner.
Tuesday night, O’Steen defeated Howard Holt 429 votes to 342 in the special election to fill Charles “Scooter Bill” Deen’s unexpired term. Deen passed away on April 25 of this year after a lengthy battle with cancer.
O’Steen and Holt bested two other candidates in last month’s election then squared off once again in tonight’s run-off. The vote totals were fairly close across the board except in Broxton, where O’Steen won 143 to 67. That proved to be the precinct that put O’Steen over the top.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Video: Truck overturns near Ambrose, blocks highway for several hours
- Bear -- yes, panther -- no
- Wednesday shooting results in standoff, eventually ends with suspect in custody
- Brunswick High hires Douglas native as head baseball coach
- Douglas native owned home that Ahmaud Arbery was in just before being shot to death