Ted O’Steen is the new District 5 county commissioner.
Tuesday night, O’Steen defeated Howard Holt 429 votes to 342 in the special election to fill Charles “Scooter Bill” Deen’s unexpired term. Deen passed away on April 25 of this year after a lengthy battle with cancer.
O’Steen and Holt bested two other candidates in last month’s election then squared off once again in tonight’s run-off. The vote totals were fairly close across the board except in Broxton, where O’Steen won 143 to 67. That proved to be the precinct that put O’Steen over the top.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Ronnie Anderson withdraws from Ward 5 city commission election
- Plane belly lands at airport, no injuries reported
- Crop duster crashes in Atkinson County, pilot survives
- Lady Trojans advance after thrilling three-game upset in Augusta
- Wheeler Park revitalization plan released, Community Foundation receives first check for park project