On Thursday, October 31, 2019, the GBI’s Douglas Regional Office received a request from the Atkinson County Sheriff’s Office to conduct an officer involved shooting investigation.
On Thursday, October 31, 2019, at approximately 5:15 p.m., Edward Roe, age 56, reported to the Atkinson County Sheriff’s Office. While in a restricted area inside the Sheriff’s Office, Roe obtained a firearm from an office and failed to comply when instructed by a deputy to put the firearm down. Roe and the deputy fired their firearms during the altercation, which resulted in Roe’s death.
No officers were injured in this incident.
The GBI will continue its independent investigation. Once complete, it will be turned over to the Atkinson County District Attorney’s Office for review. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the GBI Region 4 office at (912) 389-4103.
- Wiregrass announces Fall graduates for Coffee, Atkinson
- Three arrested in connection with New Year's Day death near Ambrose
- Broxton PD officer fires at vehicle during chase, GBI investigating
- Jan. 3, 2000: Remembering Deputy Tub Merritt and Broxton PD Officer James Bryant
- GBI investigates New Year's Day death near Ambrose