On Thursday, October 31, 2019, the GBI’s Douglas Regional Office received a request from the Atkinson County Sheriff’s Office to conduct an officer involved shooting investigation.
On Thursday, October 31, 2019, at approximately 5:15 p.m., Edward Roe, age 56, reported to the Atkinson County Sheriff’s Office. While in a restricted area inside the Sheriff’s Office, Roe obtained a firearm from an office and failed to comply when instructed by a deputy to put the firearm down. Roe and the deputy fired their firearms during the altercation, which resulted in Roe’s death.
No officers were injured in this incident.
The GBI will continue its independent investigation. Once complete, it will be turned over to the Atkinson County District Attorney’s Office for review. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the GBI Region 4 office at (912) 389-4103.
- GBI agents arrest suspect wanted in connection with armed robberies in Coffee, Atkinson counties
- GBI promotes Jeff Roesler to Inspector
- Coffee County man arrested for sexual exploitation of children
- GBI announces promotions at Douglas field office
- Twelve witnesses take the stand in first day of Anderson trial