Condemned murderer Jimmy Fletcher Meders is scheduled for execution by lethal injection at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, January 16 at Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson. Meders was sentenced to death in 1989 for the murder of Don Anderson.
Media witnesses for the execution are Kate Brumback, Associated Press – Atlanta Bureau, Christian Boone, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, DeAnn Komanecky, Savannah Morning News, Iban de Miguel, Univision Communications, and Robert Harrison Preston Jr., Broadcast South.
Meders requested a last meal of ten chicken strips, two bacon cheeseburgers, french fries, soda, and a pint of vanilla ice cream.
There have been 74 men and one woman executed in Georgia since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976. If executed, Meders will be the 53rd inmate put to death by lethal injection. There are presently 43 men and one woman under death sentence in Georgia.
- Department of Corrections, CoreCivic investigating four deaths at Coffee Correctional Facility
- Former Coffee Correctional inmate wanted for allegedly killing Alamo police officer
- Officials investigation inmate death at Coffee Correctional Facility
- Multiple agencies collaborate to make arrest in Pearson
- Nicholls prison leads state with 177 COVID-19 cases