The South Georgia State College Hawks took advantage of strong shooting from Luke Lawson Friday night during the Chick-fil-A Classic to pull away from Arlington Country Day Post Graduate Academy 76-55.
Leading by less than 10 points in the first half, the Hawks (7-2) suddenly found an offensive spark when Lawson hit six consecutive three-pointers to the amazement of the crowd and extended SGSC’s lead to 36-16.
Lawson finished with 22 points in the first 20 minutes and missed only one shot. He would add one more basket in the second half to lead all scorers with 24 points.
“We knew Luke could shoot, and we were waiting on a breakout game for him,” said head coach Cory Baldwin. “There’s no doubt tonight was that breakout game.”
Other leading scorers for the Hawks included Nate Louis with 19 points, six rebounds, four assists, and six steals. Sheldon Hendrix had 10 points, five rebounds, and five assists.
The Chick-fil-A Classic continued through Saturday afternoon when the Hawks hosted Combine Academy-Charlotte at 4 p.m. The 2 p.m. game Saturday featured Andrew College and Arlington Country Day.
General admission to all regular season home games is five dollars with children five and under admitted free.
Carter Thompson Insurance your local insurance agent - 912-384-7171
- Tyler Bashlor: From the baseball field at South Georgia to the New York Mets
- Scoring run lifts Hawks basketball over Georgia Highlands
- Hawks basketball drops conference opener to East Georgia State
- Another second half surge gives Hawks Basketball third straight win
- Second half surge lifts Hawks basketball over The Basketball Academy