This week's unprecedented snowfall might have ground most of Douglas and Coffee County to a halt but it didn't slow down the South Georgia State College swim team. The team reported to campus this week to begin the second half -- and coldest portion -- of the season.
They didn't find mild, sunny temperatures awaiting them in Douglas. Instead, they had to deal with about four inches of snow and frigid temperatures inside the college's pool facility. Yes, the water's heated. Yes, the pool complex is climate controlled. But there's only so much the HVAC system can do when the temperature drops to the level it did this week. The Hawks' swim team is one of the best junior college swim programs in the country. They have a home swim meet today, Saturday, Jan. 6, that begins at 1 p.m. And so begins their quest for another trip and strong showing at the national swim meet in March.
- Douglas Vascular Center announces expansion of the facility, services
- Over 1,500 attend 2018 Wiregrass Artist Guild's children art festival
- CRMC to host their 2018 Career Fair March 28
- Here is information on upcoming 4-H fundraisers, summer camps, junior 4-H conference
- Douglas-Coffee County Chamber of Commerce celebrates Dresses and Dreams expansion, relocation