For the first time since 2008, the Coffee Trojans are region champions. The men’s basketball team defeated the Valdosta Wildcats in the Region 1-6A tournament finals 76-49. They rolled through the region schedule with a perfect 10-0 record and that regular season run with the region title.
The Trojans will host a first-round playoff game next week, probably Friday night, against the loser of Effingham County and Bradwell Institute. As of the publishing deadline, the outcome of that game hadn’t been decided.
“These kids work hard. I’ve had several coming in at 6:30 since March. It’s all attributed to their hard work. A ton of kids have been coming in, working hard, and believing in the system,” said head coach Pernell Smith following the game.
Earlier in the evening, the Lady Trojans lost their bid for a region championship as well. They too played Valdosta but came up a little short. They will also begin their trip through the state playoffs next week. DouglasNow.com will post an update once the first round opponents, dates, and times have been announced.
Carter Thompson Insurance your local insurance agent - 912-384-7171
- Watt wins second state wrestling title, Newton gets first at weekend tournament
- Former Trojan Jalen Wilkerson declares for NFL Draft
- Coffee's Derick Newton signs with Kansas State Wildcats
- Lee defeats Coffee 28-21 in overtime to win 2017 6A state championship
- GHSA denies Coffee's appeals, state title game will be played at Lee County