For the first time since 2008, the Coffee Trojans are region champions. The men’s basketball team defeated the Valdosta Wildcats in the Region 1-6A tournament finals 76-49. They rolled through the region schedule with a perfect 10-0 record and that regular season run with the region title.
The Trojans will host a first-round playoff game next week, probably Friday night, against the loser of Effingham County and Bradwell Institute. As of the publishing deadline, the outcome of that game hadn’t been decided.
“These kids work hard. I’ve had several coming in at 6:30 since March. It’s all attributed to their hard work. A ton of kids have been coming in, working hard, and believing in the system,” said head coach Pernell Smith following the game.
Earlier in the evening, the Lady Trojans lost their bid for a region championship as well. They too played Valdosta but came up a little short. They will also begin their trip through the state playoffs next week. DouglasNow.com will post an update once the first round opponents, dates, and times have been announced.
- Football Friday Night, Trojan broadcast moves to 106.7 The Buck
- Wiregrass's Pharmacy Tech program ranked #4 in Georgia
- McGovern tops .300 in first pro stop, headed to Iowa next
- BOE gives Coach Pruitt three-year contract, approves new salary schedule
- Coffee, Brooks end spring practice with scrimmage at Jardine Stadium