The temperatures in the Midwest League are about 10-15 degrees cooler than they are here in South Georgia. But the cooler than usual weather hasn’t cooled off Keegan McGovern’s bat. The Willacoochee native hit a grand slam in the top of the third yesterday that proved to be the difference maker in the Clinton (Iowa) Lumberkings’ 5-3 win over the Peoria Chiefs.
The Chiefs jumped out to a 3-0 lead until McGovern put the Lumberkings ahead with his 10th home run of the year. With two out and a runner on, Billy Cooke and Joseph Rosa walked to load the bases. McGovern worked the count in his favor and jumped on a 3-1 pitch from Chiefs’ starter Johan Oviedo to give the Lumberkings a 4-3 lead. Clinton added an insurance run in the seventh en route to a 5-3 win.
McGovern is hitting .270 with 10 home runs and 36 RBI in 47 games with Clinton. McGovern is tied for fourth on the team in homeruns. However, his games per home run average of 4.7 leads the Lumberkings.
The official Minor League Baseball website, www.milb.com, contributed to this report.
- Armed customers interrupt robbery in Willacoochee store
- Crop duster crashes in Atkinson County, pilot survives
- Video: Keegan McGovern homers against Visalia Rawhide in California League game
- Willacoochee man killed in hit and run, suspect arrested
- Keegan McGovern named Midwest League Player of the Week