The Coffee High School Olympic weightlifting team returns from the youth national championships in Anaheim, California, with one national champion, one national runner-up, three medalists in individual lifts, and a team national title.
Eight lifters – Range Robinson, Brady Shook, Zean Preston, Will Lott, Sultan Cooper, Jake Lindsey, Dane Rish, and Arlis Sutton – made the cross country trip to compete against the nation’s best youth Olympic lifters. Range Robinson won a national title in the 13&U 44 kilogram division while Brady Shook took silver in the 13&U 73 kilogram group. Robinson medaled in both the snatch, clean and jerk, and took gold in the overall. Shook won gold in the clean and jerk and took silver in the overall. Sutton won bronze in the clean and jerk. He competed in the 16-17 96 kilo division.
Team Divergent, of which the Coffee team is a part, accumulated enough points to win the overall team national championship. Divergent finished as 13&U champions, 14-15 champions, 16-17 runner-up, and overall men’s champion.
Here is how the individual Trojan lifters finished in their divisions:
- Range Robinson: 109 kilos (44 snatch, 65 clean and jerk), gold medal
- Brady Shook: 143 kilos (55 snatch, 88 clean and jerk), silver medal
- Arlis Sutton: 239 kilos (102 snatch, 137 clean and jerk), bronze in clean and jerk
- Zean Preston: 90 kilos (39 snatch, 51 clean and jerk), fourth in the 13&U 55 kilo group
- Jake Lindsey: 153 kilos (65 snatch, 88 clean and jerk), ninth in the 14-15 81 kilo group
- Sultan Cooper: 138 kilos (63 snatch, 75 clean and jerk), 11th in the 14-15 81 kilo group
- Dane Rish: 172 kilos (76 snatch, 96 clean and jerk), ninth in the 14-15 89+ kilo group
- Will Lott: 164 kilos (69 snatch, 95 clean and jerk), 12th in the 14-15 89+ kilo group