The South Georgia State College Hawks picked up their seventh win of the regular season Thursday night, defeating Edward Waters College's junior varsity team, 87-36.
The Hawks (7-2) led 15-3 towards the midway point of the first half then outscored Edward Waters 39-13 to take a 54-16 lead into the halftime locker room. SGSC held Edward Waters to 21 percent shooting in the first half and 20 percent for the game. The Hawks forced a total of 24 turnovers, 15 of which came in the first half.
Offensively, SGSC shot 53 percent from the field in the first 20 minutes, finishing the game shooting 50 percent as a team.
Four Hawks finished in double figures, led by AJ Spencer's 22 points and 10 rebounds. Spencer shot 75 percent from the field in the first half (9-of-12). Turahn Thompson had 17 points, four blocked shots, and eight steals. Jayce Moore finished with 12 points and eight assists, while Carlos Hart rounded out the top scorers with 11 points and six rebounds.
SGSC will host Action Sports Academy Saturday, Dec. 11 at 4 p.m. on SGSC's Douglas Campus. The Hawks return to Waycross Tuesday, Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. against USC-Salkehatchie.
General admission to all regular season home games is five dollars with children five and under admitted free.
- SGSC graduates first cohort in Long-Term Healthcare Management bachelor’s program
- SGSC Foundation hosts its 2022 Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony
- South Georgia State College announces 2022 Commencement Ceremonies
- SGSC students honored for academic achievement
- Pierce County Team A wins SGSC High School Mathematics Tournament