South Georgia State College used a balanced scoring attack Tuesday night to pull away in the second half and defeat USC-Salkehatchie, 70-55.
The Hawks (9-2) had five players score in double figures, led by AJ Spencer’s 16 points, four rebounds, three assists, and two steals. Carlos Hart and Turahn Thompson each had 14 points, while Zae Wiggins and Jayce Moore finished with 13 points. Moore added 11 rebounds, eight assists, and four steals.
The Hawks trailed 23-22 late in the first half before going on a 9-0 scoring run to lead 31-23. SGSC extended the lead to as many as 19 points in the second half. The Hawks held USC-Salkehatchie to 34 percent shooting for the game and forced 22 turnovers, 14 of which came in the first half.
SGSC will host the B-Mac’s Basketball Christmas Classic in Waycross this weekend, playing Combine Academy Friday night at 8 p.m. The Hawks will face Gulf Coast Community College Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. The team will then enjoy the winter break and return to action Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2022 at 7 p.m. in Waycross against North Florida Prep.
General admission to all regular season home games is five dollars with children five and under admitted free.
- Nine Hawks selected All-Conference, Coach Timothy named GCAA Coach of the Year
- South Georgia State College announces 2022 Commencement Ceremonies
- SGSC students honored for academic achievement
- Pierce County Team A wins SGSC High School Mathematics Tournament
- Additional postseason honors announced for Hawks basketball