During a recent meeting of the Douglas Rotary Club at the South Georgia State College Alumni House, members and friends heard a program on school days in Downtown Douglas during the beginning of the 20th Century. Rotary President Jim Cottingham employed early postcards, photos, and archival materials to spotlight this pivotal period. Much of the focus zeroed in on the current site of the Central Square Complex — bordered on the west and east by Madison Avenue and Coffee Avenue and on the north and south by Ashley Street and Bryan Street.
This historically rich area has continuously been in the public domain since before 1900. Chartered as a City in 1895, ambitious community leaders saw education as one key avenue for growth and prosperity. A referendum was held in 1900 asking voters in town whether they supported the establishment of a public school district. Of the seventy-five votes cast, 100 percent supported the measure!
The Central Square area housed both the Douglas City Schools (later the Coffee County Schools) and the Georgia Normal College and Business Institute. Known earlier as the Southern Normal College, one of its principals was J. Walter Hendricks. He would later leave for Statesboro to head what is now Georgia Southern University. He and Roland Harper were classmates at UGA and Harper would stay with the Hendricks during his visits here. Harper’s research on this area’s unusual plants and geological features would be used decades after his death to help establish the Broxton Rocks Preserve. C.T. Trowell and Frankie Snow were among those who delved into his amazing contributions.
The Georgia Normal College and Business Institute reached new heights when Professors Little and Kuhl moved the school to Douglas from Abbeville, Georgia in 1908. Many students made the move with them. Professor W. A. Little later moved to the University of Florida, and Professor A. A. Kuhl continued to lead the college until his death in 1934. His widow, Mrs. Maggie Elizabeth Huss Kuhl, operated the school for a time, but the institution was ultimately a casualty of the Great Depression. The Douglas High School campus was here until the Coffee County High School opened just south of South Georgia College in 1956.
Douglas Rotary is a service organization seeking to advance Rotary International’s service ideals by investing time and resources in programs for children and youth, community development, disease prevention, family support, environmental health, and leadership development. Rotary meets on Thursdays from noon to 1 pm at the South Georgia State College Alumni House. Visitors and prospective members who are interested in personal and professional growth and community service are always welcome. For more information, call Clay Lott at 912-327-1921, Paul Elliott at 912-850-9631, or Mark Miller at 540-321-8191. Service Above Self.






