The City of Douglas will hold an open house of one of the restored World War II barracks on Friday, September 9, 2022, from 1:00 pm-4:00 pm. Once utilized as housing for World War II cadets, the Barracks #5 building is hoped to be used for an aviation-type business or aviation-related purposes. The open house is free of charge.
In 2020, the Georgia Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Natural Resources awarded the City of Douglas $10,000 in grant funds for building improvements on Barracks #5 in 2020. Funds from the DNR Grant and the City of Douglas allowed a new roof to be placed on the building as well as other improvements to occur. To assist with air base preservation and development efforts, the City of Douglas rezoned the property for planned development in 2018.
After visiting the barracks building, stop by the WWII Flight Training Museum and learn more about our historic Air Base. Other planned Open House dates for the remainder of the 2022 year include: September 20, 9:00 AM-1:00 PM; October 4, 1:00 PM-4:00 PM; October 13, 9:00 AM-1:00 PM; October 21, 1:00 PM-4:00 PM; November 9, 9:00 AM-1:00 PM; and November 17, 1:00 PM-4:00 PM. For more information about the historic airbase or preservation efforts, call Community Development at (912) 383-0277.
- It’s business license renewal time
- Douglas woman hospitalized following domestic dispute in Montgomery County, husband arrested and jailed
- Convicted felon back in jail on firearm possession charges
- City to hold 12 open house dates for World War II barracks
- 37-year-old arrested on multiple drug charges following traffic stop