A Douglas woman is behind bars after allegedly shooting another female on May 29.
According to an incident report obtained from the Douglas Police Department, Latisha Brockington, 32, allegedly shot Courtney Sanders, 32, after they got into an argument in front of Sanders’s home on South College Avenue.
The report states that a party was going on across College Avenue from Sanders’s home; however, people were parking in front of Sanders’s house to attend the party. In the report, Sanders stated that she was telling people not to park in front of her home when a white Honda Accord pulled up. Jamiya Brockington was driving the vehicle and Latisha Brockington was in the back seat.
In the report, Sanders said that Jamiya was “cussing at her about parking there and then drove off heading north on South College Avenue.” Moments later, said Sanders, the Accord pulled up again, this time with Latisha driving. Sanders then reported hearing two gun shots and getting hit in the left arm. Sanders stated that the car headed south then came back to the house going north. She said she heard one more gun shot as the vehicle came by. A witness corroborated Sanders’s information.
DouglasNow learned that Latisha and Sanders have a history with each other. Last year, the two were involved in an altercation of some kind and Sanders allegedly pulled a gun on Latisha. Sanders was arrested and charged with aggravated assault. She is out on bond; a condition of her bond is that she stay away from Latisha.
No other witnesses came forward the night of the incident. However, Jamiya Brockington and LaMichael Brockington both signed affidavits that were filed on June 8 stating that Sanders reached in the car and hit Latisha in the face. According to their statements, Latisha fired at Sanders in self-defense. In their affidavits, both LaMichael Brockington and Jamiya Brockington stated that another person at the scene, Brianna Holmes, fired a gun at the Accord as it drove away.
A Coffee County deputy found the Accord abandoned at the Coffee-Atkinson County line. It was towed to the Douglas Police Department. Later, Latisha turned herself in to the Pearson Police Department and PPD officers transported her to the Coffee County Jail.
Latisha was charged with aggravated assault and is being held at the Coffee County Jail. She waived an arraignment and has entered a not guilty plea. Thus far, Latisha is the only person charged in this incident. She has a bond hearing June 15.
- Douglas woman hospitalized following domestic dispute in Montgomery County, husband arrested and jailed
- Convicted felon back in jail on firearm possession charges
- City to hold 12 open house dates for World War II barracks
- 37-year-old arrested on multiple drug charges following traffic stop
- Douglas man arrested and charged after allegedly breaking into ex's home, hitting her while she slept
Latest from Robert Preston
- Linebacker Larry Daniel named First Team All State, six others receive Honorable Mention
- Tyreek Hill makes seventh consecutive Pro Bowl
- Former Trojan Maurice Turner torches Cincinnati Bearcats in Wasabi Fenway Bowl
- CHS junior selected to represent the US at international weightlifting competition
- McDuffie named Region Player of the Year, 11 other Trojans make All Region 1st Team