The GBI has arrested Thomas Lee Hicks, age 30, of Waycross, GA and charged him with one count of murder in the 2nd degree, two counts of cruelty to children in the 2nd degree, and one count of violation of oath of office in connection to the death of a juvenile at the Waycross Regional Youth Detention Center, where Hicks was a juvenile correctional officer.
Information from the GBI investigation revealed that Hicks allowed juveniles to participate in a fight game in his presence. Hicks was arrested this evening, August 16, 2022, and booked into the Ware County Jail.
On Tuesday, August 9, 2022, at approximately 9:00 am. the GBI Douglas Regional Office was requested by the Waycross Regional Youth Detention Center to investigate a juvenile that was reported unresponsive.
Preliminary information indicates that a juvenile was in the presence of a staff member and other juveniles at the facility when he lost consciousness. EMS was contacted and the juvenile was transported to Memorial Health Hospital in Savannah, Georgia for treatment. The juvenile later died.
This investigation is active and ongoing. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Waycross RYDC at (404) 291-0208 or the GBI Region 4 Douglas Office at (912) 389-4103. Anonymous tips can also be submitted by calling 1-800-597-TIPS (8477), online at https://gbi.georgia.gov/submit-tips-online, or by downloading the See Something, Send Something mobile app.
Once the investigation is complete, the case file will be given to the Waycross Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office for review.
- Second trial in death of Vann Brown continued until July 31
- State Supreme Court upholds Rusty Wright's 2019 murder conviction
- GBI agents arrest suspect wanted in connection with armed robberies in Coffee, Atkinson counties
- Bond denied for suspect in shooting death of Rae Rae Barnes
- Jeff Davis inmate escapes on Christmas Day, captured in Waycross
Latest from Staff Reports
- Georgia GOP lawmaker pushes bill to protect ‘vital and precious’ Okefenokee from new mining proposals
- Alleged car thief leads officers on chase through Bacon, Coffee counties
- Douglas woman back in jail after allegedly failing to meet conditions of bond
- Fulton grand jury report on attempts to overturn Trump’s 2020 Georgia election loss could soon be revealed
- New House speaker says state tobacco tax hike possible, dims hopes for Medicaid expansion