Officers discover suspected methamphetamine, handgun during stop
- Written by Kristen Kitchens
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
The Coffee County Drug Unit recently arrested a convicted felon after investigators discovered over 20 grams of methamphetamine and a handgun inside his vehicle during a traffic stop this week.
According to an investigator with the unit, on December 27, a vehicle was pulled over for a taillight requirement on Spring Oak Street around 2:14 p.m. A search of the vehicle revealed over 20 grams of suspected methamphetamine, as well as a .22 handgun.
While being questioned by the investigator, the suspect stated that his name was Martin Merrill. However, following an investigation, the man was identified as Glenn Leroy Merrill Jr., a convicted felon.
Merrill was arrested on charges of possession of methamphetamine with the intent to distribute, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, possession of a firearm during the commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies, and giving a false name to a law enforcement officer.
According to documents filed in the Superior Court of Coffee County, Merrill pleaded guilty to one count of possession of methamphetamine and one count of possession of a Schedule IV controlled substance (tramadol) in 2020.
Merrill has not been released on bond and is currently in the Coffee County Jail.
- Officers arrest, jail McRae man for alleged financial transaction fraud
- Drug detectives act on tip, make meth arrest
- 39-year-old arrested on cocaine trafficking charges after vehicle stop
- Drug unit officers arrest, charge Douglas man with meth possession after short chase
- There is an election underway and it's for the SPLOST referendum
Latest from Kristen Kitchens
- Defendant in lone criminal trial this month pleads guilty
- American Idol to remember Willie Spence during tonight's Season 21 premiere
- Alleged impaired driver hits, totals Douglas Police Department patrol car
- Alleged domestic dispute leads to terroristic and acts charges
- Allegations of a pecan theft result in meth arrest