David Spivey arrested, charged with embracery in connection with jury tampering allegations in Anderson trial
- Written by Robert Preston
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
The hammer continues to fall in the jury tampering investigation related to the murder trial of Justin Anderson last November. Another suspect, David Spivey, has been arrested and charged with embracery, the second individual arrested on that charge this week in the case.
On Wednesday, March 15, 2023, DouglasNow reported that Joey Anderson, the father of Justin and Jason Anderson, had been arrested and charged with embracery (Georgia’s official term for jury tampering) after the Grand Jury indicted him on Monday, March 13. According to the indictment, he allegedly contacted David Spivey, the brother of Johnny Spivey, a potential juror in Justin Anderson’s trial on charges of murder, aggravated assault, making false statements to police, and tampering with evidence in connection with the January 1, 2020, death of Vann Brown. The indictment states that Joey Anderson spoke with David Spivey and asked him to tell Johnny Spivey to vote to acquit Justin Anderson if Johnny was selected as a juror.
During jury selection, Johnny Spivey mentioned this exchange in open court. Stories quickly began circulating that authorities may open an investigation and seek charges against those involved. However, nothing materialized until the Grand Jury handed down the indictments on Monday.
David Spivey’s indictment is almost exactly the same as Joey Anderson’s. It states that “between the 6th day of October, 2022, and the13th day of November, 2022 . . . with the intent to influence Johnny Spivey, a person summoned as a juror, in the case of the State of Georgia v. Justin Anderson, communicated with said juror otherwise than authorized by law, in an attempt to influence his action as a juror, telling him not to vote in favor of a guilty verdict, Contrary to the laws of said State . . .”
David Spivey was arrested and charged with embracery. He remains in the Coffee County Jail. Joey Spivey was arrested Tuesday, March 14, 2023, and is also still in the Coffee County Jail.
Jason Anderson is set to stand trial on the same charges as his brother on July 31, 2023.
- Coffee County student makes Brewton-Parker Dean’s List
- City to end recycling program on August 1
- Ethan Kramer receives state young leader award
- Cross sentenced to year and a half in jail after disrupting probation revocation hearing 27 times with foul language, lewd behavior
- Pair of teens arrested for allegedly stealing customer's credit card information at drive-through
Latest from Robert Preston
- Veterans, citizens observe Memorial Day at courthouse ceremony
- City commission approves special exception variance for group bringing in ALDI grocery store
- Completely Unchained brings Van Halen to the stage Saturday in Douglas
- Former Trojan headed to Junior College World Series with Andrew College Tigers
- On the death of the manual transmission and the loss of our connection to the world around us