Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website at www.entclinicmd.com
Garrett Streat (Class of 2027) was recently selected as a Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) Nathan Deal Scholar, announced MUSM Dean Jean R. Sumner. M.D.
Nathan Deal Scholars are selected based on their strong ties to rural Georgia, character, leadership qualities, community involvement and their likelihood of serving in rural, underserved Georgia after their scholarship obligations are met. The recipients receive 85-100% of tuition for up to four academic years.
"The Nathan Deal Scholarship enables and supports students who want to return to rural communities to become outstanding physicians. These scholars represent the highest commitment to providing excellent health care to rural Georgians," said Dr. Sumner. "The scholarships remove a huge financial burden of medical school debt which has been a perceived hurdle for doctors going into less populated areas. With this financial aid students plan on practicing quality medicine in the small towns they know and love."
The mission of investing in students from rural Georgia so that they can return to their hometowns virtually debt-free is what drew Streat to the Nathan Deal Scholarship.
"It is an honor to be selected as a Nathan Deal Scholar because this scholarship increases the number of rural Georgia physicians, improving access to quality health care," said Streat. "I hope to make the changes I wish to see to better our community and its members."
Streat practiced as a pharmacist before pursuing his medical degree and knows the health care struggles in the underserved, rural areas of Georgia. His plan is to return to his hometown community to continue giving patient care.
"My rural community deserves the best care, and I will soon provide that to the people who shaped me into the man I am today," Streat added. "I want to thank all of my family, friends and pharmacy patients for all their love and support during this journey. I would not be here without them and for that, I am beyond thankful."
"The Nathan Deal Scholars will make a difference in the health status of Georgians," added Dean Sumner. "This scholarship is one more way Mercer is reinforcing its commitment to rural Georgia."
Garrett is the husband of Bridgett Streat, father of Stetson Streat, son of Van and Carrie Streat and nephew of the late Dr. Perry Streat.
- Riot with multiple injuries reported at Coffee Correctional Facility
- CRMC earns ‘A’ safety grade from The Leapfrog Group
- Ware County man arrested, charged with DUI after fatal side-by-side crash near Nicholls
- Coffee native takes ownership of Badcock store in Commerce, Ga.
- Leeia Fields selected as Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and Rural Pediatric Scholar at Mercer University School of Medicine
Latest from Submitted
- Christmas parade rescheduled for Friday, December 8 at 7pm
- COUNTRY Financial supports school system with An Operation Helping Heroes Donation
- A fresh brew: SGSC welcomes Starbucks to campus
- Here are the rules and guidelines for this weekend's Christmas parade
- Veterans Park Committee to host Pearl Harbor Day remembrance ceremony