A deadly crash involving an 18-wheeler hauling gas and a pick-up truck occurred early this morning on the outskirts of Willacoochee on Highway 82. The accident killed the driver of the big truck while the pick-up driver was reportedly unhurt. WALB has reported that the truck driver has been identified as Timothy Teemer, 47, of Albany. The driver of the pick-up was James Gaskins, 73, of Willacoochee.
The wreck shut down the eastbound lanes of Highway 82. Department of Transportation crews and law enforcement re-directed eastbound traffic to the westbound side, with one lane of the westbound side of 82 handling eastbound traffic and the other lane moving westbound vehicles.
Hours after the accident took place, the tanker truck was still in the woods just off the eastbound side of the roadway. The truck was in a stand of trees facing west. The Coffee County hazmat team was on the scene assisting with the clean-up, as were DOT crews and law enforcement officers from surrounding areas. The Georgia State Patrol was investigating the accident.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Video: Live streamed video leads to aggravated assault charges
- Appling County native hits go-ahead home run in MLB All Star Game, wins game for American League
- 2021 CHS graduate loses life in Lanier County shooting
- Stafford, Merritt lead the way at CHS track awards banquet
- Douglas woman jailed after shooting, witnesses say it was in self-defense