Officers from the Douglas Police Department, Georgia State Patrol, the Coffee County Sheriff’s Office, and an area SWAT team swarmed the neighborhood surrounding Amelia Apartments on North McDonald Avenue Friday night after a gunman shot two individuals, one fatally, and barricaded himself inside an apartment.
As of Friday around 11 p.m., the gunman, who family on the scene identified as Curtis Wallace, was still barricaded inside the apartment. According to a police spokesman, the body of the deceased female was inside the apartment as well. A second female who had been shot had gotten out of the building and was talking to investigators at Coffee Regional Medical Center. Family members again confirmed that the deceased is Kathy Wallace. There were children inside at the time of the shooting but they escaped unharmed.
Law enforcement had set up a perimeter and were working to bring the incident to a safe conclusion without further injury. DouglasNow.com will provide further updates as information is made available.
- Officers, firefighters battle storm to preserve American flag
- Douglas man arrested after allegedly stabbing girlfriend during argument
- DPD officers investigate Juanita Street homicide
- April McDuffie named Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
- CSX to close several rail crossings for maintenance
Latest from Robert Preston
- Suspect in Ocilla fatal shooting allegedly steals car at gunpoint in Coffee County, flees
- Tyreek Hill plays against Pittsburgh, leads Kansas City in receiving
- Douglas man allegedly kills his son, injures another in Christmas Eve shooting
- Two former Trojans take the field in Division II national title game
- Jeff Davis deputies, DNR officers make multiple drug arrests