Police have filed charges and made an arrest in the shooting death of Lea Merritt of Douglas, which took place Sunday afternoon at a North College Avenue address.
According to a Douglas Police Department spokesman, officers have charged Merritt’s brother, Caleb Barrett, with involuntary manslaughter and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. Barrett stands accused of shooting Merritt in the backyard of the family residence as a result of a family dispute.
Barrett has been arrested and is being held in the Coffee County Jail. The investigation into Merritt’s death is ongoing and more serious charges could be forthcoming depending on the outcome of the investigation.
- South Georgia physician admits participating in conspiracy to illegally distribute drugs
- Douglas woman loses life walking on 1-10 in Jacksonville
- ATCO officers make fourth arrest in armed robberies investigation
- Picket pleads guilty on aggravated assault charge
- Man arrested after allegedly burning girlfriend's clothes
Latest from Robert Preston
- 2021 CHS graduate loses life in Lanier County shooting
- Stafford, Merritt lead the way at CHS track awards banquet
- Douglas woman jailed after shooting, witnesses say it was in self-defense
- County buys fire truck in Texas, crashes on way back to Georgia
- Deep South Farm Supply employee charged with taking, burning truck and trailer