Saturday night, authorities discovered what they believe to be the body of Ruben Barboza, 20, in the creek that runs behind Hebron Baptist Church. A statement posted on the Coffee County Ga. Police Scanner Facebook page from Sheriff Doyle Wooten describes what led investigators to the body.
Barboza had been reported missing from Atkinson County on Friday. A Coffee County deputy on patrol in the area noticed vehicle parts on the roadway and damage to the bridge that spans the creek. He stopped for further investigation and saw the body floating in the water. A vehicle that matched the description of Barboza’s was submerged nearby.
Coffee County authorities turned the investigation over to the Georgia State Patrol. Officers do not suspect foul play. Apparently, they are attributing Barboza’s death to a vehicle accident. While all indicators point to the body being that of Barboza, it was sent to the GBI crime lab for positive identification.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Suspect in Ocilla fatal shooting allegedly steals car at gunpoint in Coffee County, flees
- Tyreek Hill plays against Pittsburgh, leads Kansas City in receiving
- Douglas man allegedly kills his son, injures another in Christmas Eve shooting
- Two former Trojans take the field in Division II national title game
- Jeff Davis deputies, DNR officers make multiple drug arrests