According to a press release issued by the Coffee County Sheriff's Office on Monday afternoon, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating the death of a man booked into the Coffee County Jail Saturday afternoon.
Sheriff Doyle Wooten asked the GBI's Douglas Regional Office to investigate the death of 28-year-old Shannon Ashley Rewis. The Douglas Police Department arrested Rewis on Friday, Oct. 20, on probation violation warrants and transported him to the Coffee County Jail for processing. While being booked into the jail, Rewis developed medical issues and was transported to Coffee Regional Medical Center.
Rewis died around 5 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 21, while being treated at CRMC. His body was taken to the GBI Medical Examiner's Office in Macon for an autopsy. The investigation into Mr. Rewis' death is active and ongoing. Anyone who has information concerning this case is asked to contact the GBI's Douglas Regional Office at (912) 389-4103 or the Coffee County Sheriff's Office at (912) 384-4227.
Latest from Robert Preston
- Local election results: Four races decided, one headed to a runoff
- An interview with Melody and Vaylor Trucks of Brother & Sister
- Baxley's Byron Buxton one home run off Major League lead
- Dewey Thomas “Butch” McDuffie, 72
- DPD officers make arrest after alleged home invasion, domestic dispute involving a shotgun