Gaskin Avenue open, Perimeter Road project 64 percent complete
- Written by Staff Reports
- Published in News
Your Local Sinus Experts are now located in three convenient locations:
Tifton, Douglas and Waycross!
Give us a call today at 912-384-2200 or visit our website atwww.entclinicmd.com
A portion of South Gaskin Avenue, which closed in late August due to the removal of an old culvert, has been open now for several days. The closure was part of the Georgia Department of Transportation project to widen and reconstruct perimeter road (U.S. 221/SR 135).
A contractor installed a new culvert in June 2017. Removal of the old culvert was delayed to minimize the amount of time a detour would be required. The culvert accommodates the stream that runs under Gaskin Avenue and the widening of perimeter road. The $32.7 million Georgia DOT project is about 64 percent complete. The project begins at U.S. 441, where it ties into the southwest portion of the perimeter road, and ends at SR 32. It includes construction of a bridge to replace the at-grade railroad crossing near Iron Road to enhance safety and alleviate traffic back-ups.
Two lanes of the bridge are open to traffic. Dirt is being hauled in to build up the other side of the overpass. The entire project is due to be finished in May 2020 and the prime contractor is East Coast Asphalt LLC.
- Sidewalk clash on Peterson Avenue sends two to jail, one to the hospital
- Douglas man convicted of child molestation, sentenced to 25 years in prison
- Officers arrest, jail McRae man for alleged financial transaction fraud
- Drug detectives act on tip, make meth arrest
- Rev. Charles Warnock, minister, pilot, World War II hero, passes at age 103
Latest from Staff Reports
- 39-year-old arrested on cocaine trafficking charges after vehicle stop
- Trojans take first at For Coffee meet, Kate Merritt sets another school record
- Katy Paulk takes oath of office, now officially State Court judge
- Judge Spivey denies convicted double murderer Wallace Lee's motion for a new trial
- Traffic stop leads to arrest on methamphetamine, cocaine charges